Even households full of the most adventurous eaters still have days of total food apathy. Days when I don’t really feel like cooking anything new and the kids are way too grumpy and disagreeable to give a new dish a genuine chance. So while I push new recipes onto my family a few days a week, the other days we’re back to favourites that I can cook easily and know they will eat happily.
The list evolves, but at the moment, here are our five favourite dinners (click the pics for links to the recipe)…
1. We overdosed on the chicken sausage rolls a couple of years back, and had been taking a pastry break. But lately we just can’t eat enough of these pork, fennel and apple sausage rolls. I know I’m banging on about them, but seriously, do yourselves a favour and give them a try.
2. This was on my last list of five ‘go-to’ dinners and it’s still on the list a year later. These beef and lentil fajitas are just so yummy and possibly what I like even more is that the mix can be made up at any stage throughout the day and just reheated at dinner time. As a Mexican would say, “Eso es muy bueno.”
3. This chicken & udon soup is also from the first Vegie Smugglers cookbook and is still on high rotation at VSHQ. One pot. Quick. Easy. Delicious. Say no more.
4. Every now and again Mr VS has a mega cook-off and fills the freezer with lovely tubs of his fabulous bolognaise. We probably eat it once a month – not often enough to get sick of it, just often enough to ooohh and aaaah over how good it is.
5. For some reason, it doesn’t matter how many times we eat this salad, we just never get sick of it. I made it for pretty much every guest we had over last summer. I made a double batch of it for a family party last weekend and if you’re booked in for a visit to my house any time this summer, chances are I will make this for you too. But relax, because it’s SO good. Every time.
So that’s my list. But what’s on yours? Let me know.